Seeking a Library Director
The Schreiner Memorial Library Board of Trustees is seeking an organized, experienced Library Director to manage and lead the services and activities in the library in Lancaster as well as its Potosi Branch. Under the direction of the board, this position directs all aspects of library operations including but not limited to budgeting, personnel management, policy development and maintenance, collection development, services, programming, facility maintenance, marketing, and advocacy. The ideal candidate will:
- Have or be eligible for a grade II Wisconsin Library Certificate (although a Master’s Degree in Library and Information Science is highly desired)
- Have a minimum of 3 years’ experience as a public library director or in a related management role
- Possess knowledge of library philosophy, guiding principles, and state statutes related to library operation
- Have a demonstrated ability to supervise staff
- Be experienced in budget preparation, grant writing, and statistical reporting
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Be able to advise and work with the Lancaster Public Library Foundation
About the Communities
Schreiner Memorial Library is located in the seat of Grant County in Lancaster, Wisconsin. It is a community of just under 4,000 but, including the branch library, serves over 11,000. Schreiner Memorial Library is an active member of the Southwest Wisconsin Library System. The facility in Lancaster sits in a city block sized park near downtown. It underwent an extensive renovation and expansion in 2015 and was named the Wisconsin Library Association Library of the Year in 2016. The Potosi Branch was started in 2007 as a cooperative effort between neighboring communities and is open 17 hours per week. Total operating expenditures between the two locations in 2019 were just over $468,000 and includes a staff full time equivalency of 6.3.
Compensation and Benefits
The annual salary range for this position is $49,000 – $60,000 plus an excellent benefits package which includes participation in the Wisconsin Retirement System. This is a full time exempt position.
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and three work-related references to LancasterLibraryDirector@swls.org. This position will be open until filled with a qualified candidate, but resumes will be reviewed on a rolling schedule starting April 8th.
Library Director Job Description